Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ulpan: Learn Hebrew or Die Trying

I have Ulpan every week from Sunday to Thursday. Since this was a short week we had class on Friday, but that is an anomaly. Essentially I have an intensive Hebrew language class for five hours every day, where both my teachers will refuse to speak English unless there is a   question that they cannot answer in Hebrew and still have us kind of understand. We still haven’t learned the entire alphabet, but now I can kinda read the street signs if you give me a minute. My favorite part is that Hebrew has two alphabets and we have to learn them both at the same time. Cursive we’re learning how to write and read, but print we can pretty much only read. Cursive is faster to write, which is awesome, but  most of what we do in class is cursive and most signs are in print.  As long as eventually I handle being in the market and ask how much something costs without getting swindled I’ll be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment